Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Day 321 :: Friday November 16 :: Winnipeg, MB

Create instructions or a visual diagram for something that normally wouldn't need them.

Guest creative day!! My friend and former ultimate frisbee teammate Julia (who recently moved to Winnipeg, boo!!) casually mentioned over the summer that she'd love to help with the blog. Of course i said yes, and today i hand over the reins to her. This is what she created. I'm impressed! :)


Here's my daily creative, that was a lot of fun! Thanks for letting me do one of these. 

I've been winter biking for about 8 years now. It's not something that I have to think about very much, but I get lots of friends who ask me about it, so I was inspired to diagram how to ride a bike in winter. Riding in winter is a lot of fun, but it's also challenging. It takes longer to get from point A to point B, but you get some exercise along the way and you aren't stuck on the bus like sardines wearing your warmest winter coat. I prefer to always bring a change of clothes with me if I am cycling to work or school since the clothes I bike in get pretty sweaty and also get dirty from road salt. In my first couple years of winter biking I fell over a lot, but then I got some studded tires (and learned to turn slowly and brake early) and I haven't fallen in a couple years now. Today I biked with some cross-country skis attached to my bike. I am pretty excited that I can use by bike to get around the city all year round. 

I've included some instructions on what to wear, where to bike, and how to bike. These are examples of the clothes, routes, and techniques I use, but they may not be the preferred method of all winter cyclists. The two most important things I've learned about winter cycling are safety and fun. It's not fun if you're always worried about getting run over or if you're too cold, so finding that balance will make it easier for you to stick with it. Happy cycling!






No comments:

Post a Comment