Thursday, December 6, 2012

Day 312 :: Wednesday November 7 :: Ottawa

Paint it black. Work only with black materials today. Try working on a black surface for a real challenge.

It's funny where inspiration comes from sometimes... I had a completely different idea planned for today's assignment, but working on a client's martial arts-related job late in the afternoon led me to go in a completely different direction.

It might be hard to believe, but there was a time in my life where I didn't know about ultimate frisbee. Those were my high school years, i still lived at home, and was darn passionate about one thing: karate. In May 1997, I competed at nationals, and while there met someone who would become one of my most valued friends throughout the next 1.5 years. We lived in different provinces, meaning looooong phone calls and rare visits, but somehow it worked. I then moved to Ottawa, and we drifted apart... until we reconnected via Facebook a few years ago. While I never personally achieved my black belt, that summer this friend gave me his as something to aspire to, and more than a decade later it is now the focal point of this assignment. And of course I will share this with him.



No comments:

Post a Comment